Off-Road Superwinch Review
Among our group of off-road enthusiasts, Superwinch has always been a go-to brand. Other than a good battery, there are few tools as important as a quality winch to get you out of trouble.
Power, cable length, weather resistance, and many other factors go into the right winch for whatever adventure you are planning. On this page, we are looking at the best options Superwinch has to offer at the moment. Let’s get into it!
Our Top List
Superwinch Terra 35 & 45 (3500 to 4500 lbs)
Superwinch LP10000 (10,000 lbs)
Superwinch 1515200 Tiger Shark (15,500 lbs)
Superwinch 1695200 Talon (9500 lbs)
Superwinch 1140220 Black ATV Winch (4000 lbs)
Superwinch 1130220 ATV Winch (3000 lbs)
Superwinch 1120210 ATV Winch (2000 lbs)
Superwinch 1511200 Tiger Shark (9500 to 11,500 lbs)
- Off-Road Superwinch Review
- Our Top List
- 1. Superwinch Terra 35 & 45 (3500 to 4500 lbs)
- 2. Superwinch LP10000 (10,000 lbs)
- 3. Superwinch 1515200 Tiger Shark (15.500 lbs)
- 4. Superwinch 1695200 Talon (9500 lbs)
- 5. Superwinch 1140220 Black ATV Winch (4000 lbs)
- 6. Superwinch 1130220 ATV Winch (3000 lbs)
- 7. Superwinch 1120210 ATV Winch (2k lbs)
- 8. Superwinch 1511200 Tiger Shark (9.5k to 11.5k lbs)
- Verdict & Superwinch Review
- Superwinch Terra 35 & 45
- Buying Guide
1. Superwinch Terra 35 & 45 (3500 to 4500 lbs)
The Superwinch Terra is a cable winch with a roller fairlead, mounting plate, handlebar mount toggle, and handheld remote. The drum, made of steel, can be used with a synthetic rope or cable. The Terra is a high-end power winch ideal for off-roading because of its durability and versatility. We love this winch!
It comes in different versions between 2500 and 4500 lbs, a standard 4-way fairlead, color coated leads for connecting to the battery, a fifty-inch length 13/64 thick steel rope, and a heavy-duty latched hook with the thimble. We prefer the Terra 35SR over the others, unless you need the extra power of the Terra 45.
The winch also comes with a 10-inch rubber handheld remote, a handlebar switch with an eight-inch cable, a quarter-inch hand saver strap, mounting hardware, and a sealed solenoid. It also comes with a circuit breaker component, a set of plastic ties, and a user’s manual.
This winch is safe and comes with mechanical load holding and dynamic braking, which reduces the possibility of the wire rope slipping when there is a power failure or a power surge, and it quickly stops the drum. The solenoid and circuit breakers are sealed, keeping it safe in all weather conditions, and a rubber remote switch with a ten-foot extension cable allows you to stand from a safe distance.
- Powers load in and out
- 50 inches of wire rope of 13/64 inch size
- Has mechanical load holding and dynamic brake
- Steel planetary gear and utilizing machined-in, oil pocket bronze bearings
- Easy to grip and use a free spooling clutch
- Very efficient permanent magnet motor with 1.6 horsepower
- Power surges and circuit breaker protected
- Solenoid contact is sealed to protect from various weather conditions
- 4-way fairlead
- Heavy-duty latched hook with thimble
- Works with most bolt pattern ATV winch mounts in the market
- Pulls at least the weight that it is supposed to manage
- The steel gears are wide compared to competing winches and utilize machined-in, oil pocket bronze bearings that assure smooth movements for years and in all weather conditions.
- Handy free spooling clutch with a handlebar switch for quick motor disengaging and manual drawing of winch rope needed.
- A four-way fairlead with a heavy-duty latch hook with a thimble for security
2. Superwinch LP10000 (10,000 lbs)
The Superwinch LP10000 is a heavy-duty winch that can fit most 4×4 vehicles, RVs, trailers, and same-sized vehicles. It has a 10,000 lb pull rating with steel wire rope of 85 feet and ⅜ inches. A 5.1 horsepower series power it wound motor that is easy to connect with your vehicle battery permanently.
In addition, its power is of a 3 stage planetary gear train which also makes it reliable. Other top features of this winch are a lever-operated free spooling clutch that allows manual drawing of the winch rope length as much as is needed and a standard heavy-duty roller fairlead that is powder-coated. However, it does not come with a mounting plate; it is sold separately. The hook is a heavy-duty latch with a thimble for extra safety.
The LP10000 winch is perfect for beginners to winching with its adaptability, power, and medium-heavy horsepower. It has a planetary gear train with an impressive gear ratio of 235:1 and a rubber remote with a 12-foot switch cord.
This winch also has automatic load-holding and mechanical braking in case of power failure. The wire rope is held in place as well as providing stopping quickly of the drum. The solenoid and circuit breaker are sealed for protection from all weather conditions, ensuring reliable and safe power in any weather condition.
- Powers load in and out
- 3/8 inch and 85-inch length steel wire rope
- Safe automatic load-holding and mechanical braking with drum stopping
- Efficient multi-stage planetary gear train
- A level shift-free spooling clutch for fast steel wire rope pay-out
- Sealed weather-resistant 5.1 horsepower series wound motor and solenoid
- Durable handheld rubber remote switch with 12-foot cable
- 4-way fairlead
- Heavy-duty latch hook with thimble
- Mounting bolt pattern of 10 inches by 4 inches, making it compatible with most mount kits
- Excellent for beginners as it is easy to use with rubber handheld rubber remote
- Heavy duty with substantial pulling power
- It fits with most 4×4 vehicles, trailers, RVs, and vehicles of the same size.
- Easy to establish a permanent connection to your vehicle battery
- Powerful 10,000 LB pull rating with 85 feet of three-eighths inch steel wire and 5.1 horsepower series-wound motor-powered battery
- Its free spooling clutch allows you to disengage the motor quickly and manually draw the amount of winch rope needed
- It does not come with a mounting plate.
3. Superwinch 1515200 Tiger Shark (15.500 lbs)
If you need to haul the mountain of gold you’ve discovered on your off-road adventure, the beastly Tiger Shark has a 5.7 horsepower motor and pulls 15,500 lbs loads. It is a great winch for a discerning user with stainless-steel roller heads, fairleads, and other long-lasting hardware. In addition, it has a sealed solenoid contactor which will not be damaged even when submerged. The motor and solenoid are sealed with a heavy-duty textured cover that protects them from weather conditions and rough off-road terrain.
The Tiger Shark comes with a planetary gearbox with four stages that can shift torque and various terrain demands easily. The easy-to-use free spool lever is designed to only work when you use it. It will not be activated by bumpy roads or plenty of vehicles shaking from rough terrain. The lever is a lift and pull type.
- Powerful motor that is sealed to protect it from weather damage, terrain activity, and environmental conditions such as smoke and dust reduces damage from rain, snow, and blowing dust
- Sealed solenoid to protect it from all weather conditions
- Rubber handheld remote which is easy to use and effortless switching
- Strengthened stainless steel roller fairlead with brushed finish protects from different weather and wire rope friction
- Easy to hold and use shaped free-spool control
- Heavy-duty winch with a pulling power of 15,000 lbs
- Heavy-duty wire steel rope
- Rubber handheld remote with a 12-foot inch cable for safety
- Stainless steel fairlead and other hardware that makes it last long as it can take a battering from the rope and weather conditions
- Spool control is easy to use and can control how much wire rope to release at any time
- Requires some expertise to use
4. Superwinch 1695200 Talon (9500 lbs)
The Superwinch Talon is a 9500 lbs winch with a 15-inch rope and roller fairlead. It uses a handheld rubber remote that is easy to use and controls the cord, retracting four inches. The latch is a military-style lock. It comes with LED lights that are great for night winching.
The solenoid is a VS4 that is vented, submersible, stabilized, and sealed, which protects it from all weather patterns. The solenoid comes with a venting feature that resists water and releases condensation that may form in the box, protecting it from damage.
The three-bar bracket is insulated, which reduces vibration and fatigue. The brake design is a double stop which provides no drag at all on the cable. It is located in the gearbox aside from the drum to prevent heat transfer from the wire rope.
- 85-inch ⅜ inch wire steel rope
- LED lights
- Military-style lock with heavy-duty latch hook and rope thimble
- Handheld rubber remote with coiled cord
- All-weather sealed solenoid
- Tribar bracket
- 12V DC winch with a 9,500 lbs capacity
- Stainless Steel Fairlead
- Dual Stop 100 percent load-holding brake design which gives no drag on cable
- Heavy-duty 85-inch wire steel rope which can pull loads of 9500 lbs
- Quick unwinding
- LED lights allow for night winching
- Brake design allows for zero drag on the cable
- Heavy-duty latch hook and rope thimble
- It’s a bit heavy
5. Superwinch 1140220 Black ATV Winch (4000 lbs)
The Superwinch Black has a 4,000 lbs pull on its 50 feet steel rope. It is operated with a 12-foot handheld remote control with a convenient handlebar switch. The 1.4 horsepower motor has an automatic load-holding brake to prevent wire rope slippage when there is a power break. It has a 3-stage planetary gear with a 166:1 gear ratio, while the stainless-steel fairlead is 4-way.
The all-weather protected solenoid is sealed for protection, and it has a universal fit which makes it compatible with most 4×4, RVs, trailers, and similarly sized vehicles. It has a smaller space and comes with a mounting plate. In addition to the remote handlebar switch, the handheld remote control comes with a Polaris shifter that uses an integral winch switch.
The synthetic rope is made of steel and is designed to stop load slippage because of the mechanical and dynamic brake holding system. The solenoid and plugs are outside of the winch.
- Sealed solenoid protected from all weather conditions
- It has a universal fit type to most mount kits
- A mechanical and dynamic brake that stops rope slippage during power break or circuit breaker
- It has a pull of 4,000 lbs
- Heavy duty with steel wire rope of 50 inches length
- It comes with mounts, connector, and mounting nuts and bolts
- Sealed solenoid for safety and lasts long
- Uses mechanical and dynamic braking system which is safe in case of a power outage
- It comes with a mounting plate
- Solenoids, switches, and plugs are outside the winch, which can be inconvenient.
6. Superwinch 1130220 ATV Winch (3000 lbs)
Popularly described as an outdoors winch, the LT3000 ATV is durable, reliable, and functional. The permanent magnet motor is low amp protected by an inbuilt circuit breaker. In addition, a 1.2 horsepower draw engine makes it reliable and powerful. The wire rope is 50 feet of durable 3/16-inch heavy duty wire rope and a sturdy 4-way roller fairlead made of steel. It comes with a wired handheld remote with a 12-inch lead for extra safety, free-spooling, easy to use and handle clutch remote.
The gear train is a tough full metal mutli-stage planetary gear train. It is a great ATV snow plow winch. It does not come with the winch mount plate kit used to install this winch on your ATV or UTV. It has mechanical and dynamic braking, and 100 percent automatic load-holding, which reduces wire rope slippage in case power fails, or there is a surge, and to provide quick stopping of the drum. It has a sealed solenoid and circuit breaker protection to ensure safe, reliable electromagnetic power in all weather conditions; and a rubberized remote switch with a 12-inch lead allowing for safe distances and position between you and the winch when using it. The planetary gear ratio is 136:1.
- The winch has a rated line pull of 3,000 lbs
- Steel roller fairlead and mounting plate provided
- Sealed permanent magnet motor with low amperage
- It comes with a handlebar-mounted rocker switch and handheld remote
- A mechanical and dynamic brake system that stops rope slippage when the power stops
- The remote is easy to use
- It does not come with a mounting plate
7. Superwinch 1120210 ATV Winch (2k lbs)
The Superwinch ATV LT2000 Series Winch is easy to use with optimum power loads in and out. It has a differential planetary gear system and a rated line pull of 2,000 lbs. The powerful and versatile winch can be used as a portable winch using quick-connect wiring and mounting kits.
It can also be used permanently mounted onto your vehicle. The braking system is mechanically dynamic, with a circuit breaker for extra protection. The low amp system permanent magnetic motor is sealed for all-weather protection. It has powerful output with a handlebar rocker switch remote, a sturdy latch hook with a rope thimble, and a free spooling clutch.
- Power in and power out
- Differential 3-stage planetary gear system
- Pull and turn free spooling clutch
- Low amp, permanent magnet motor
- Circuit breaker protection provided
- Heavy-duty latched hook with rope thimble
- It has a sealed solenoid and handlebar-mounted rocker switch
- Has pulley block and D shackle
- Heavy-duty latched hook with rope thimble
- Rated line pulls of 2,000 lbs
- Low-amp, permanent magnet motor with a planetary gear Ratio of 153:1
- Pull-and-turn free spooling clutch
- Pulley block and D shackle
- It does not come with a mounting plate
8. Superwinch 1511200 Tiger Shark (9.5k to 11.5k lbs)
These additional lower-power entries in the Tiger Shark winch series have a stainless-steel roll bar equipped with fairleads and hardware, making it a long-lasting winch. The solenoid is covered with a hardy, textured seal which protects it from all-weather and bumpy off-road action. We prefer our higher ranked winches for the level of power these winches provide but they are by no means bad.
The lever is an easy-to-use lift and pull-free spool that stops off-road unspooling of the winch.
- Weather sealed solenoid, and 6.0 horsepower motor reduces weather damage
- Heavy-duty 12 feet rubber handheld remote; the field-proven design provides effortless switching
- Heavy-duty stainless-steel fairlead with brushed finish endures weather and wire rope abuse
- Easy to use and manage shaped free-spool control; easy to grip and effortless to operate
- Sealed solenoid
- Sealed motor
- Powerful 6.0 horsepower motor
- Sturdy steel hardware winch
- Easy to use free-spool control
- Mounting plate needs to be bought separately
Verdict & Superwinch Review
Superwinch Terra 35 & 45
- Universally compatible with any ATV winch mount
- Can pull at least the weight it is supposed to manage
- High quality steel gears and bronze bearings
- Free spooling clutch with handlebar
- Four-way roller fairlead with heavy duty latch hook
- Mounting plate needs to be purchased separately
From all winches we have used, the Superwinch Terra is our favorite, specifically the Terra 35SR. It has served us well on numerous trips. This winch is hardy with its stainless-steel roller fairlead and hardware, 50-inch length, and 13/64 thick synthetic rope. It lasts long and has a powerful 6.1 horsepower engine that powers the 3,500 lbs lift load.
The magnetic motor is equipped with a circuit breaker making it an ultra-safe option that lasts long. The sealed solenoid and easy-to-use rubber handheld remote make this winch a top choice even though other winches have a higher-rated pull. This concludes our Superwinch review but maybe check out the buying guide below as well!
Superwinch is a popular winch manufacturing company that has been making winches for over 40 years. There are a lot of winches to choose from, and when looking to buy, there are several things you can consider. Some of these are:
For what purpose you will be using the winch. The kind of vehicle you will be towing will determine the winch series that you will use. Use a winch that will have more than twice the weight capacity of the object you want to tow. It is to get the best performance from the winch. It will also last longer as it is not being used less or strained by excess weight.
Synthetic Rope vs. Steel Cable
Most winches can be used with a steel cable rope or a synthetic rope version when looking at rope options. The type of rope you choose will depend on the kind of loads that you expect to carry. Steel ropes last longer than synthetic ropes because they are made of sturdier materials. It also requires less maintenance compared to a synthetic rope. On the other hand, synthetic rope is lighter and not subject to corrosion. Both types of winch ropes are fine for most situations.
We prefer synthetic rope for any winch most of the time. Synthetic ropes are advantageous when you are considering the total weight of the winch. It is because they are lighter than steel cables, which makes the overall winch load lighter. They are also a good option when it breaks under a load. It will not be as dangerous as a steel cable snap back under a heavy load because the synthetic rope is lighter and will not cause as much damage.
Stainless steel roller back fairleads are best because they last longer. A handheld remote winch controller with a rubber grip is the best kind because they are easy to grip and use. Look out for this with the switch in the handlebar for easier control of the levers. A lengthy cable is an advantage compared to a shorter one. It is for better control purposes, and in case of any incidents, you are at a safe distance.
A sealed solenoid and motor protect them from harsh weather conditions and malfunction. Look out for circuit breakers and solenoids that are covered. It is for your safety in case of a power surge and the longevity of your winch.
If you are off-road most times, then get a waterproof winch. The IP (Ingress Protection) rating of a winch evaluates the protection degree that is provided for against different weather patterns, water, dust, mud, rocks, and other road debris that may affect an unprotected winch.
An IP68 rated winch is the best for off-road activities. A winch with this rating is totally dustproof and is water-protected when the winch is submerged for a long time.